The Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA) have announced a Code of Conduct for footwear production, and eight factories (China and Vietnam) that have met this code. These factories have each been awarded the FDRA’s seal as a “Recognized Responsible Footwear Manufacturer.” The code contains clauses on workplace conditions, the treatment and safety of workers, and environmental stewardship.
2014 FDRA Recognized Responsible Footwear Manufacturers:
• Dongguan Mayflower Footwear Corp (China)
• Guangzhou Zhujiang Properwell Shoes Mfg. Ltd (China)
• Hue Phong Footwear Co. Ltd (Vietnam)
• Panyu Leader Footwear Corp (China)
• Putian Chengyi Footwear Co. Ltd (China)
• Right Rich VN Co. Ltd (Vietnam)
• Serena Shoe Co. Ltd (China)
• Yangzhou FuHeng Shoes Co. Ltd (China)
Check out the FDRA page for more info.
I haven’t worked with any of these particular companies but I think having an approved list like this is an awesome idea. Making it easier for smaller brands to find responsible factories is a great thing for the industry.